Friday, February 27, 2009

Kyoto

Kyoto, formerly the imperial capital of Japan, is part of the Osaka-Kobe-Kyoto metropolitan area. It is famous for many things including its 1600 Buddhist temples and 400 Shinto shrines.

We had 1 day in Kyoto, so we saw 3 of those (1600) temples.


We started at Kinkakuji Temple (Golden Pavilion).

This elegant building consists of three types of architecture: The 1st floor is Shinden-zukuri, the palace style, named Ho-sui-in. The 2nd floor is Buke-zukuri, the style of the samurai house and is called Cho-on-do. The 3rd floor is Karayo style or Zen temple style, called Kukkyo-cho.


Yoshimitsu, the 3rd Shogun of Ashikaga, abdicated the throne in 1394. After three years, he began to build Kitayamaden. After Yoshimitsu’s death, Kitayamaden was made into a Zen temple in accordance with his will. All the buildings of those days came to ruin except Kinkaku. The garden, however, remains as it was, in former days.






Then we went to Ryoan-ji Temple, famous for its Zen garden. Considered to be one of the most notable examples of the "dry-landscape" style, it is an austere arrangement of fifteen rocks sitting on a bed of white gravel, surrounded by low walls. Its minimalism inspires contemplation, introspection, and deliberation on the transience of our own humanity.








............................

Pardon me while I have a strange interlude at the vending machine



Dearest darling little can of creamed corn soup,
Words cannot begin to express my gratitude. You saved me when I was nearly depleted of all my energy. You only cost me 150 Yen, and yet you were the warmest, most satisfying 75 calorie boost I have ever known.
Yours truly,
me


........................







Finally, the (authentic) Japanese girl is one with the (authentic) Japanese landscape.






The last temple we visited, Ninnaji Temple, is the main temple of the Omuro School of the Shingon sect. Founded on the orders of Emperor Koko and completed in 888.

Many of the buildings and subordinate temples were lost during the Onin War (1467-1477). Most of the surviving buildings date from the 17th century








Then....



...we hit the stores. After all, our visit to Kyoto would not be complete without a little shopping. OK, maybe a lot of shopping - especially at this store, called Raak. (http://www.raak.jp)

This store sold the coolest printed scarves and wall hangings I have ever seen. On the right hand side of this photo is a plaque that tells the nearly 300 year old history of the company. This store is only found in a few locations, exclusively in Kyoto.

4 comments:

james said...

three for sixteen-hundred and one can of soup. not a bad day, at all.

ryoanji is one of my favorite places. thanks for taking me back there for a minute.

momcat said...

I love this blog. It is informative, reflective, and the strange interlude made me laugh and laugh, especially since I had the feeling Groucho would approve. Momcat-san.

bauwowow said...

I also shop at the Raak. Er, uh, Rack (Nordstrom-san, that is...)

bauwowow said...

Beautiful photographs. It looks so peaceful.